Thursday, January 28, 2010

Favorite Songs: 25 - 21

Wow. Has this really taken me nearly three months to finish? I didn't think it would take me nearly that long. Guess I didn't add in the having a 7 month old child distracting me and keeping me occupied factor. Oh well. We're almost done.

25. "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here)
If anyone dare question the greatness of this song, they need a fucking lobotomy. I'm just saying.
Line: "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year."



24. "P.S." by James (Laid)
This song is the reason I love James. The first James song I heard was "Born Of Frustration" off Seven. While I liked the song, I wasn't intrigued enough to buy the CD (and actually, I didn't finally get it until last summer. And regret waiting so long, as I've already said at some point.) A couple years later they release the CD Laid, as well as the single "Laid" (you know, the one song by James that anybody knows.) Still wasn't sure about buying the album. Then one night I was watching 120 Minutes on MTV (back when they still had shows about music), and James is in studio. They play "Laid" predictably enough. Later, though, they played this song, and I was absolutely hooked. Actually, more accurately, I was blown away. If I had missed that show, I probably wouldn't have ever bought Laid, because even though there were a couple more singles off it, none of them got any air play whatsoever around here, and in turn, this list would have been a whole lot different because what is now one of my favorite bands ever would not have been included a single time. And there are still a few songs coming from them. Thank God I didn't have a life in high school and was home on Saturday nights (or Friday, can't remember which now. Or was it Sunday? Damned memory) so I could watch 120 Minutes.
Line: "You liar. You liar. All your hope and trust is misplaced."



23. "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper (She's So Unusual)
Cyndi Lauper really was the shit back in the day. I've bought this album probably 5 different times over the years, and it's been stolen every single time. Finally bought it on cassette, and, surprise surprise, nobody has stolen it.
Line: "Watching through windows, you're wondering if I'm OK."



22. "Country Feedback" by R.E.M. (Out Of Time)
In my humble (ha ha) opinion, Out Of Time is one of the most overrated albums ever. It is consistently called R.E.M.'s best album (nope... Document or Green), one of the best albums of the '90s (not really) etc. etc. etc., mostly because of "Losing My Religion." And don't even get me started on how bad that song sucks. Anyway... "Country Feedback" is one of the few songs off that album that's actually worth a fuck. On several tours, R.E.M. had a fan poll up asking what song the fans wanted to hear at each show. It was no mistake that "Country Feedback" was consistently in the top 5, and usually one of the top 2. Such a great song.
Line: "I was central, I had control, I lost my head. I need this."



21. "So Cruel" by U2 (Achtung Baby)
My second-favorite song off my second-favorite U2 album. It's about a woman who knows a guy is in love with her, so she takes advantage of him as much as possible while giving nothing in return. Sounds like every girl I dated before Holley (except one). And yet, these guys make all this suffering sound like a love song. Crafty bastards. For whatever reason, this song has only been played live 3 times. Ever.
Line: "The men who love you you hate the most."

No comments: