Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Favorite Songs: 10 - 6

So yeah, I really want to be done with this by this weekend, so I'm doing these five today, then the top 5 probably Saturday, no later than Sunday.
Down to the nitty gritty now, kids.

10. "A Letter To Elise" by The Cure (Wish)
So, yeah, 4 of the top 10 are Cure songs. They aren't my favorite band for nothing, people! I love the music in this song, and love the words even more.
Line: "But I let the dream go. All the promises broke, the make believe ran out."

Full version (Great video! ha)


Single version (Actual video. Cuts off before the end...)


9. "Something I Can Never Have" by Nine Inch Nails (Pretty Hate Machine)
As much as I like this album, this is the only Nine Inch Nails song on this entire list. It's the only song by them that I truly love. The simple piano, the synthesized strings, the not-really drums... And the overwhelming pain in Trent's voice. Stellar.
Line: Everywhere I look, you're all I see. Just a fading fucking reminder of who I used to be."



8. "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" by Elton John (Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy)
Is that the greatest album title in history? Maybe not, but it's up there. I just absolutely love this song. Easily my favorite Elton John song, obviously, and one of my favorite songs ever, obviously... Sorry, this is one of the few songs on this list that I didn't have something pre-written for. I have sung it a few times at karaoke, but the first time was the best, and every successive time has gotten progressively worse, so I probably won't ever try it again. Too bad, too. It's fun to sing.
Anyway, about the song... Back in the day, I guess Elton John was actually unaware that he was gay. Bernie Taupin, the guy who helped write the vast majority of John's good pre-Disney music, pretty much sat him down and said, look, dude, wake the hell up. So Elton broke up with the chicklet he was engaged to, and this song is pretty much about the break up part of the relationship. Good shit.
Line: "I'm strangled by your haunted social scene, just a pawn out-played by a dominating queen."



7. "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel (So)
Is there anyone who doesn't relate this song with John Cusack and Say Anything...? When I was engaged to the ex, this was going to be the song we danced to at the wedding reception. Thank God that didn't happen, because now I can still enjoy this song.
Line: "Love, I get so lost sometimes."

(This version's good, but the version from the P.O.V. concert video is better. Just couldn't find it. And yes, that's Paula Cole with him. This tour was pretty much how she got her start, as her debut CD came out the following year.)


6. "Faith" by The Cure (Faith)
Easily the single most depressing song on this list. A complete cry for help, set to some beautiful atmospheric music. I used to listen to this song repeatedly for hours on end without getting sick of it, before Holley and I met. Glad I'm not that unhappy anymore.
Line: "Catch me if I fall, I'm losing hold. I can't just carry on this way."

(Another performance from the In Orange concert video. Such a great video.)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Can't argue with any of your choices (though the Elton john song is not one of my faves by him).

Love love love "A Letter to ELise." Who doesn't love that song?

Do you remember that "In Your Eyes" was our prom song? I don't hold that against the song though. Besides that song, they only played two other good songs at prom, a NIN song, and Beastie Boys. Such a waste of time. And is it sad I remember that? I say yes.