Monday, February 1, 2010

Favorite Songs: 15 - 11

Comment from the last post, from Heather:
"In My Life" was the song I danced to with my dad at my wedding. Love it. Interesting Beatles trivia as well.

One of these days I'll comment on the two posts prior to this one. Maybe before you get to the top 10?!


That's very cool that you danced to that song with your dad. Can't really remember what I danced to with my mom. Oh well.
And if you want to beat the deadline you imposed on yourself, you better get commenting. Ha ha. Of course, that would entail not locking yourself out of the house any more. Kidding. Ha.

And away we go. There are no happy songs left on this list. Just some somber sad shit. Because that's what I like best.

15. "Love Is Blindness" by U2 (Achtung Baby)
People have made the argument that Achtung Baby is a very religious album, and I can see that, to an extent. I'll get into that more when I do the albums list, don't feel like doing it right now. Anyway, this is one of those songs that just tugs on the old heart strings.
Line: "A dangerous idea that almost makes sense."

Pretty good fan made video. (There's no official one. Wasn't a single.)


14. "All I Want Is You" by U2 (Rattle and Hum)
I'm actually surprised there aren't more songs from this album on the list, since it and Achtung Baby are my 2nd and 3rd favorite U2 albums. (A.B. 2nd, R+H 3rd, for the record.) The album version of this song is a lot better than the single version, as it includes somewhere around 4 minutes of instrumental at the end, all violins, cellos, etc.
Line: "All the promises we break from the cradle to the grave, when all I want is you."



13. "Turn My Head" by Live (Secret Samadhi)
This song is just beyond great. "Lightning Crashes" may be Live's most popular song, but for me, this one's the best. If you know it, you know how kick ass it is. If you don't, well, here it is. Enjoy its greatness.
Line: "I've fallen down, drunk on your juices."



12. "Somebody" by Depeche Mode (Some Great Reward)
I wasn't really expecting this song to be this high on the list, because I really don't like much of the old Depeche Mode stuff, pre-Music For the Masses. But as I organized the list, I realized more and more that there are only a small number of songs that I like more than this. Kind of nice when you can surprise yourself on your own tastes like that.
Line: "And when I'm asleep, I want somebody who will put their arms around and kiss me tenderly."

(There is an actual video, but the live version is immensely better than the single version.)


11. "Fretless" by R.E.M. (Until the End Of the World Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
(Yep, I'm that big of a dork.)
This song is about loneliness, depression, anger... you know, all the fun emotions. It was originally recorded for Out Of Time, but got left off for whatever reason. Personally, I can think of three songs off that album that this could replace without even trying, and without even including "Losing My Religion."
Line: "Don't talk to me about being alone."



Top Ten, here we come...

No comments: