Thursday, February 4, 2010

Favorite Songs: 5 - 1

Finally, after 3 months, 36 posts, 156 songs, we are down to the final five. But business to take care of first...

Comment from last post, from Heather, as no one else seems to read this...

"Can't argue with any of your choices (though the Elton john song is not one of my faves by him).

Love love love "A Letter to Elise." Who doesn't love that song?

Do you remember that "In Your Eyes" was our prom song? I don't hold that against the song though. Besides that song, they only played two other good songs at prom, a NIN song, and Beastie Boys. Such a waste of time. And is it sad I remember that? I say yes."

Yeah, over the years, the more I listen to Wish, the more I realize how much I dislike that album. Probably my least favorite Cure album. The only songs I even listen to off of it any more are "Apart" "Trust" "To Wish Impossible Things" and "A Letter To Elise." If it weren't for those 4 songs, that CD would probably just sit on the shelf collecting dust. (Well, OK, the other 2 singles, "Friday I'm In Love" and "High" were OK too, especially "High." And "Elise" would be the third single from that album, but gee, guess which one never got on the radio?)

As far as "In Your Eyes" being the prom song... I remember I was shocked when that was named the song for prom. Really thought it would be some hair band power ballad or some R&B crud. As far as prom itself... Didn't go. I was supposed to, even had a date, but slacked off too much and didn't buy tickets in time. From what I have heard, I didn't miss much.

OK, I'll shut up now.

And now, here they are, my own personal 5 favorite songs ever.

5. "Bad" by U2 (The Unforgettable Fire)
Back before The Joshua Tree came out, "Pride (In the Name Of Love)" was the shit when it came to U2 songs. "Bad," from the same album, blows "Pride" out of the water. Live versions of "Bad" are some of the most memorable performances U2 have done. In the film Rattle and Hum they use bits of "Ruby Tuesday" and "Sympathy For the Devil" at the end, and it ended up being one of the 3 best live performances in the film. On the Wide Awake In America video, the only song that outshone "Bad" was "Sunday Bloody Sunday." The most famous version, though, by far, was at Live Aid in 1985. Other than Queen blowing the crowd away with their awesome performance, U2's performance of "Bad" was pretty much the stand out performance of the entire day. Just phenomenal. Sorry, didn't realize I was rambling so much.
Line: "If I could, you know I would. If I could I would let it go."

Live Aid version: (Man that hair fuckin rules.)


Rattle and Hum version (My favorite, personally.)


4. "To Wish Impossible Things" by The Cure (Wish)
So yeah, my least favorite Cure album has two of my top ten songs. Go figure. This song and the upcoming song in the #2 spot express loss and pain and hope and love all at the same time better than any other songs I've ever heard. The first time I heard this song I was in my Painting 2 class in high school, working on the one painting I worked on that entire year. From then on, it was the only song I listened to when working in that room or on that painting. And yeah, it's been almost 17 years and I still haven't finished that painting.
Line: "And now the sun shines cold, and all the sky is grey. The stars are dimmed by clouds and tears, and all I wish is gone away."

Not the most exciting video ever, but the music's what matters anyway, right?


3. "I Wanna Go Home" by James (Hey Ma)
So, this album came out in 2008. Out of the other 24 songs in the top 25, none is more recent than 1997. That should kind of tell you how much I like this song. I don't even know what it is about it, either. I've just loved it from the first time I heard it. And not only is this song a favorite, but the album's moving up to the top of the list pretty damn quick too.
Line: "Kissing is forbidden, biting leaves marks. Sex is overrated, I need to dance."



2. "With Or Without You" by U2 (The Joshua Tree)
Like there is any explanation necessary. Please.
Line: "On a bed of nails she makes me wait."



And finally, we have arrived...

1. "Pictures Of You" by The Cure (Disintegration)
I used to get beat up in school for listening to The Cure. Like, literally beat up. A few years ago, this song was used in a commercial for Xerox or Kodak or something. Are you kidding me?
Anyway... Yeah, there has never been any doubt that this was going to top this list. The first Cure album I ever heard was Disintegration. At least, it's the first one I remember hearing, although Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me may have been first. At any rate, this is the first song I ever remember truly falling in love with. The first time I heard it I was completely blown away, and it started a love affair with this band that has lasted 20 years. I honestly think if I'd never heard this album, and especially this song, I would have ended up with an immensely different taste in music. Without question the greatest song I've ever heard.
Line: "If only I'd thought of the right words, I could have held on to your heart."

And yeah, this is the shortened single version. The album version's a tad over 7 minutes.


So there you have it. Thank you, Heather H., Heather R. and Matt, for reading this, since you are the only three people I know have read any of this list at all. Hope it kept you somewhat interested and more than a little entertained. I know I enjoyed writing it. I plan on doing a favorite albums list too. Hopefully I'll get everything compiled and sorted and start that one by the end of the month. Until then...

1 comment:

Heather said...

My favorite U2 song ("With or Without You.") And favorite Cure song ("Pictures of You.") I could listen to those songs over and over and not ever get sick of them. In fact, did just that with "Pictures of You" over some boy, years ago.

You really got beat up in school? High school? What a bunch of lame-o hill jack, assheads.

Look forwarding to reading your favorite album list!